The holidays can be particularly difficult for individuals who are newly sober and worry about being around alcohol during Thanksgiving and other holiday parties. Staying sober during Thanksgiving is possible when you plan ahead and continue meeting with a therapist through a rehab aftercare program. Aftercare support provides individuals with continuing therapy after completing a residential or outpatient treatment program.
At Crestview Recovery, we understand the difficulties of staying sober during holidays and can help you or a loved one survive the holidays without relapsing. Our treatment programs address the physical and mental aspects of addiction and teach clients how to avoid their triggers and say no to drugs or alcohol while at a party. We give our clients the courage to live their lives free from drugs and alcohol. To discover all of the benefits of our rehab aftercare program, call 866.262.0531 or ask us a question using our online form today, and we will get back to you within 24 hours.
The Difficulties with Staying Sober During Holidays
Men and women who complete their addiction treatment programs may worry about how well they can abstain from drugs or alcohol, especially at social events where drinking is common.
Triggering events can be anything from peer or societal pressure to family gatherings and holiday office parties. Without being fully prepared for the event, the risk of relapse can be high, especially if they feel trapped or cannot step away.
When you complete an addiction treatment program, many treatment centers will offer aftercare programs to help people whenever their cravings become too much to handle alone. Addiction is a lifelong illness, and cravings can return at any time after recovery, even years after your last drink. Some of the common causes for relapse after completing a recovery program include:
- Continuing to hang out with friends or family who drink or use drugs and don’t want to quit.
- Peer and societal pressure to drink to fit in at parties and other social events.
- Staying at home out of fear of being around drugs and alcohol.
- Failing to attend regular therapy sessions.
At Crestview Recovery, we teach our clients healthy coping skills for staying sober during holidays and other stressful situations. We give our clients the courage and confidence to live their lives knowing they can talk to a therapist anytime their cravings return.
Helpful Ways of Staying Sober During Thanksgiving
Staying sober during Thanksgiving is relatively easy when you prepare for the potential of facing your triggers. You wouldn’t start a race without preparing and expecting to win. Getting through Thanksgiving and other holidays can be approached in the same way.
To prepare you for the holidays after completing addiction treatment, here are a few tips on how to stay sober during the holidays:
- Meet with a behavioral therapist as part of your aftercare program leading up to the holidays and talk about your fears and concerns. You can participate in activities to refine and practice coping skills and learn other ways to avoid your triggers.
- Have a mentor or a sober friend on speed dial in case you need to talk to someone before, during, and after the party.
- Bring a sober friend with you to the party, so you have someone to hang out with that won’t be drinking or doing drugs.
- Drive yourself so you can leave the party anytime your cravings get out of control.
- Talk to your friends and family about your desire to stay sober and worries about relapsing. Your loved ones will encourage your healthy choices and do what they can to ease your fears.
- After the party, call a mentor or attend a therapy session to talk about the experience and if you felt any temptations.
You will learn many more tips on how to stay sober during the holidays by continuing with therapy and fine-tuning coping skills as you begin living a sober life.
Stay Sober Over Thanksgiving with Help From Crestview Recovery
At Crestview Recovery, we teach our clients helpful tips on staying sober during Thanksgiving and other holidays through our accredited addiction treatment programs. We are a full-service addiction treatment center with a comprehensive set of treatment programs that include:
- Residential treatment program
- Partial hospitalization program
- Intensive outpatient program
- Medication-assisted treatment
- Dual diagnosis treatment
- Aftercare program
Call 866.262.0531 today to speak with one of our friendly team members about starting the holiday season right by honing your coping skills through continuing addiction therapy.