Substance abuse is a problem that may seem to occur out of the blue in many people’s lives. Unfortunately, this damaging issue is one that is not likely to go away without detailed help and a better understanding of what causes addiction. By fully understanding these factors, it is possible to get high-quality rehab and beat your addiction. This will help you regain a sober and healthy lifestyle where you do not crave drugs or alcohol. Read on to learn more about the causes of addiction and how rehab can help you overcome this disease.
What Are the Causes of Addiction? A Further Examination
Addiction can be a somewhat mysterious disease. For example, why does one person develop alcoholism while another does not? The reasons for these confusions typically lie in a misunderstanding of what causes addiction. While it is true that alcohol is physically addictive, other factors may influence this factor, such as:
- Genetics – Those with a family history of addiction may be more likely to become addicted than those who do not
- Psychological factors – People with underlying emotional issues may become more addicted than others
- Impulse control – Many people with poor impulse control could find it hard to stop abusing drugs, even without a physical addiction
- Body chemicals – Some individuals have a body chemistry that reacts more heavily to substances, such as a higher tolerance of certain substances
All of these factors come into play every time a person takes an addictive substance. For example, a person with anxiety may abuse marijuana and become psychologically dependent on it. Or they may drink alcohol too heavily that their body adjusts to using it as their body is already heavily tolerant of it. As a result, it is essential to not only understand what causes addiction but how rehab can help those in this situation. Rehab is essential for those who want to live a healthier lifestyle without relying on drugs or alcohol.
How Can Rehab Help?
High-quality professional drug rehab not only helps to assess what causes addiction in a person but creates a treatment method that works for you. For example, an individual may need detoxification treatment to avoid the heavy withdrawal symptoms they may experience from their recovery. This step is typically the first step that most people take in recovery, as it helps ease them into care. However, a full rehab experience also includes a total body and mind package, including:
- Psychological assessment and treatment to decrease co-occurring disorders
- Behavioral adjustment to help a person avoid substance abuse
- Nutritional and exercise care to give an individual a better chance of success
- Aftercare to pay attention to further instances of potential addiction
- Relapse care to help those who fall off of the wagon
By taking this type of comprehensive treatment into account, a person can adequately address the many symptoms that addiction causes. Just as importantly, they can understand more about what caused their addiction, how they can avoid it in the future, and other critical steps that they must take to regain their sobriety and their proper level of happiness and stability. Overcoming addiction is about making different choices in your life and consistently being able to choose against using drugs or alcohol. This kind of foundation that you will develop in treatment is necessary for recovery.
Are You Ready for Change?
When you understand what causes your addiction, it is vital to call Crestview Recovery. Our experts have years of experience providing comprehensive care in multiple formats. Whether you want dual-diagnosis, partial hospitalization, or intensive outpatient, we have you covered. Call 866.262.0531 today to set up an appointment. Verify your insurance to get the help that you need.