If addiction has taken over your life, you may be ready for a change. So, you have committed to a rehab center and are prepared to manage your substance abuse for good. This hard decision will change your life for the better. Before you go, though, you need to understand how to enhance your success rate. Preparing for rehab will ensure that your recovery is more successful.
Telling Everyone About Your Journey
When you decide to go to rehab, you are making a critical investment in yourself that can pay dividends for the rest of your life. However, your family may be shocked to hear this news. If you have hidden your addiction well, they may not even believe that you need help. Others may think that you can handle the problem on your own and try to talk you out of going.
That latter situation rarely happens, though, because most of your loved ones are going to support you in your journey. However, it can be hard to admit to them that you need this help. You may feel as though telling your loved ones is akin to saying you have lost control of your life and cannot handle your addiction. This is not accurate. By going to rehab, you are regaining control of yourself and your substance abuse.
Therefore, you need to be honest, forthright, and reasonable with your loved ones. Let them know that now is the best time for you to handle this problem. Additionally, give them your contact information for the center, as well, to ensure that they can reach out to you if needed.
People preparing for rehab need to make sure to pack a broad array of items. Failing to do so can make your stay much more difficult. Just a few things you need include:
- Proper clothing for the season and the area
- Toiletries, such as toothpaste and shampoo
- Books to read, because you will not have internet access
- Pillows or bedding, because though the center will provide these, you may have items you prefer
- Healthy and approved snacks
- Writing utensils and paper
If you forget anything, do not worry; you are not trapped in the rehab center. Often, many facilities have employees who can take you to a store, if necessary, to buy items that you need.
Preparing Yourself Mentally and Emotionally
Now that you have prepared your loved ones and packed, you need to make sure you are ready for the emotional journey of rehab. When preparing for rehab, this step is often the hardest. You are likely going to feel very scared and uncertain. Decrease these concerns by following these steps:
- Bring a journal – Even if you have never journaled before, starting during rehab can help give you an insight into your life that you have never possessed
- Create a contact list – You will not be able to use your cellphone in most rehab centers, so bring along a list of numbers to call if you get down
- Master meditation – The stress of rehab can be hard for some to handle, but mastering meditation can help you take your mind off of your worries
- Focus on positive ideas – If you focus your thoughts on a positive attitude and shed negativity at the rehab door, you will be more likely to succeed with your treatment
It is often understandably hard to stay positive when in rehab. You will be going through some physical and emotional pain that can be quite potent. However, all diseases require a little bit of discomfort during recovery. Addiction is no different. Thankfully, rehab can serve as a soothing balm to make it easier for you to get over this disease.
We Are Here to Help
If you need help preparing for rehab and are not sure who to contact, reach out to us at Crestview Recovery today. When you call 866.262.0531, you get direct access to a professional who understands addiction and who cares about your needs. We can provide a total range of coherent care options for your recovery, focusing on physical, mental, and emotional elements. So, verify your insurance to learn more about your options and contact us to get started.