Behavioral therapies in rehab equip you to stop abusing a substance. You receive the tools you need to manage stressors and triggers. What is holistic therapy? Most importantly, how does it benefit you as you overcome a psychological drug dependence?
Are Holistic Treatments Necessary?
What is holistic therapy if not an opportunity to regain your balance? Comprehensive care encompasses not just your physical and psychological well-being but also your spiritual health. Of course, drug abuse affects the whole person across all these planes. Holistic drug rehab helps to restore emotional health.
What is Holistic Therapy at a Good-Quality Facility Like?
The goal is to help you align your mind, body, and spirit. However, this doesn’t happen by itself. It takes some work, just as the other aspects of rehab do. Modalities include:
- Acupuncture that focuses on physical health with the stimulation of trigger points along the body
- Massage therapy as a way to achieve relaxation and the return to healthy sleeping patterns
- Meditation that teaches you to breathe through stress and relax your mind and body at will
- Nutrition therapy to counteract the side effects of drug abuse and support a healthy lifestyle
- Mindfulness training, which encourages you to ground yourself in the present without worry about the past or future
Recreational therapy is another part of the holistic treatments that you might undergo. Possible activities include rock climbing, hiking, or biking. You also interact with peers in recovery, which puts your coping skills to the test. In the process, you learn to feel more comfortable while interacting with others.
When you discover the answer to what is holistic therapy, you learn that you don’t need to have a substance to feel secure with who you are. In contrast, art therapy gives you an opportunity to look inward. You also connect with your innermost being and find ways of expressing yourself nonverbally.
Integrating These Treatments with Evidence-Based Practices
As useful as holistic care is for your overall well-being, it’s not something that should stand alone. For best results, it needs to become part of an evidence-based therapy regimen. Examples of these care options include:
- Gender-specific group therapy sessions, which provide a suitable peer experience for learning
- Trauma therapy that lets you process unresolved situations from the past
- Cognitive behavioral therapy, which equips you to exchange dysfunctional patterns for healthy ones
- Family therapy to encourage loved ones to heal and become your support network
- Relapse prevention training that focuses on living a sober lifestyle after graduation from the program
How to Get Help Today
When you connect with a rehab facility intake advisor, you learn about the various treatment delivery options. Find the one that’s right for you. Some people do very well with a partial hospitalization while others thrive in an intensive outpatient program. Additionally, the advisor helps you think through your choices.
So, what is holistic therapy? It may very well be the missing piece in your recovery. At Crestview Recovery, caring addiction treatment specialists want to help you heal. Call 866.262.0531 to learn more and also begin your journey.