It’s heartbreaking to think about how many people in the United States are currently suffering from addiction. The latest substance abuse statistics show that more and more people are turning to drugs and alcohol to manage stress, trauma, mental health issues, and more. It is crucial for people who are suffering from substance abuse to have reliable, medically approved treatment centers available. From treatment for alcoholism to prescription painkillers to opioid abuse in Portland Oregon, there are treatment centers to meet the ever-changing needs of people who struggle with substance abuse.
Addiction And Young Adults
Most mental health professionals classify young adults as people who are 18-25. Let’s take a look at the substance abuse statistics for this age group:
- 1 in 7 young adults struggles with substance abuse. This is equivalent to 14% of the young adult population. Side note: this is the number of people who have admitted to having a substance abuse problem. It’s likely that the number of young adults that actually have a substance abuse problem is higher than drug addiction statistics would suggest.
- In the past ten years, the need for heroin addiction rehab has doubled in the U.S.
- 10% of young adults struggle with addiction to alcohol.
- White males age 18-25 who live in large cities are at a higher risk of developing a heroin addiction than any other group.
Substance Abuse Statistics
- Nearly 1 million Americans struggled with cocaine use in 2017.
- People who are addicted to alcohol are twice as likely to become addicted to heroin. People who are addicted to prescription drugs are 40 more times likely to become addicted to heroin.
- 1.7 million Americans struggled with a painkiller addiction in 2017.
- 5% of the American population (age 12 and older) struggled with addiction to alcohol in 2017.
- More than 10% of children in the United States live with a parent who abuses alcohol.
- Only 19% of people who could benefit from substance abuse treatment actually get help.
- Addiction is a treatable disease — 10 % of American adults self-report that they are in the lifelong process of recovery.
When you’re stuck in the cycle of addiction, it’s easy to feel like you’re alone, and no one else could understand what you’re going through. Substance abuse statistics prove that this isn’t the case. Millions of people have been where you are. While it does take dedication and hard work, it is possible to come out on the other side and life a healthy, happy life after addiction. It’s up to you to decide whether you’d like to become a part of substance abuse statistics or a part of the statistics of recovery.
Ready To Make A Change? Crestview Recovery Is Here To Help
If you or a loved one are struggling with substance use, don’t become one of these drug addiction statistics. Help is available, and it’s easier to get support than you may think. If you’re ready, it’s time to learn more about Crestview Recovery. We understand that addiction is complicated, and we are here to help you. We’re here to help you understand how addiction took hold of your life and what you need to do to start the path to recovery.
At Crestview Recovery, we offer several addiction therapy services, including:
– Family, group, and individual therapy
– Dialectical and cognitive behavioral therapy
– Mindfulness meditation therapy
– Trauma therapy
– Life skills rehab
We know that it takes courage to make the call to get help, and we are proud of you for even considering picking up the phone. When you’re ready, call Crestview Recovery at 866.262.0531. One of our compassionate, understanding staff members will take your call. We’ll walk you through what your recovery could look like, and answer any questions that you have about starting treatment.