Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a mental health disorder that affects men and women from all walks of life. It occurs when someone experiences a traumatic event and does not know how to cope with the thoughts and emotions that it creates. PTSD treatment in Portland, Oregon, can give men and women the help they need instead of turning to drugs and alcohol. PTSD treatment in Portland is very beneficial in turning people’s lives around through healthy coping skills and a better understanding of their thoughts and emotions.
At Crestview Recovery, our PTSD treatment center in Portland, Oregon, is available for men and women over 18 struggling with PTSD that hinders their ability to lead a healthy life. We give them the tools they need to change negative thoughts and behaviors before they can cause self-harm or lead to suicidal thoughts. If you or someone you know is struggling with PTSD and want to make a real change, call 866.262.0531 today for more information about our PTSD therapy program in Portland.
Can PTSD Lead to Addiction?
In a word—yes. Post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD, can lead to addiction if men and women don’t seek help for their symptoms and instead turn to drugs and alcohol for relief. Many people wrongly believe they are helping themselves by using drugs or alcohol to cope with their symptoms. The massive release of dopamine gives them a sense of euphoria. This feeling, therefore, can be very appealing to those with PTSD or other mental health disorders. They think they can use smaller amounts and avoid creating an addiction.
In reality, drugs and alcohol will only make their condition worse by creating a co-occurring disorder. It makes treating their mental health more difficult. Why? Because now they will need help with recovery from both addiction and PTSD. At Crestview Recovery, our PTSD treatment in Portland, Oregon has proven to be very beneficial in helping clients get relief from their symptoms without turning to drugs and alcohol.
What to Expect from a PTSD Therapy Program in Portland
Each person’s treatment experience will be unique. While PTSD affects everyone equally, each person will have different symptoms. Several factors determine the type of symptoms someone will experience. These include family history, genetics, and the environment in which they grew up.
When clients first enroll in a PTSD therapy program in Portland, they can expect the following:
- Therapists and medical staff will evaluate their physical and mental health to determine the right treatment program. Some clients will require residential treatment if their symptoms are too disruptive to their lives.
- In cases of severe addiction, clients will receive medication-assisted treatment to reduce withdrawal symptoms and ease their cravings so they can concentrate fully on their recovery.
- Clients will participate in behavioral and holistic therapies. As a result, they will get a better understanding of addiction and how it affects their behaviors. They will then develop new coping skills to learn to cope with their PTSD symptoms without turning to drugs and alcohol.
- Therapists will monitor clients’ interactions with others during group therapy. The objective is for clients to learn coping skills and improve communication and relationship skills. Therapists will make note of any concerning behavior and address them in private therapy.
- Family therapy is also a part of an effective treatment program. It helps clients and their families build back trust and a stronger family bond.
Crestview Recovery Provides Effective PTSD Treatment in Portland, Oregon
At Crestview Recovery, our PTSD treatment center in Portland, Oregon, is open to all men and women over the age of 18 who are struggling with PTSD or other mental health disorders. We will take the time to understand your unique symptoms and recovery goals and form a comprehensive treatment plan. We offer several treatment options that include:
- Residential treatment program
- Partial hospitalization program
- Intensive outpatient program
- Separate men’s and women’s rehab program
- Telehealth program
- Aftercare programs
When you’re ready to begin getting help with PTSD, call 866.262.0531 or fill out our online form to see how we can benefit your recovery.
Since 2016, Dr. Merle Williamson, a graduate of Oregon Health Sciences University, has been the Medical Director at Crestview Recovery, bringing a rich background in addiction medicine from his time at Hazelden Treatment Center. He oversees outpatient drug and alcohol treatments, providing medical care, setting policies, detox protocols, and quality assurance measures. Before specializing in addiction medicine, he spent 25 years in anesthesiology, serving as Chair of Hospital Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee and Chief of Anesthesia at Kaiser Permanente. This experience gives him a unique perspective on treating prescription drug addiction.