Codeine is a prescription narcotic that can be used to treat pain but can be abused by individuals addicted to the drug. Anyone using the drug needs to understand the dangerous and potentially lethal codeine side effects from recreational use.
Codeine is an opioid-based drug that may create an intense high, sense of euphoria, or heightened relaxation for addicts. The most common form of codeine includes cough syrups and similar medicines used to treat cold & flu symptoms.
But what many addicts may fail to understand is that this opiate, in particular, has a lot of harmful side effects. If you know a loved one that struggles with opioid dependence, or if you do yourself, then you need to know about the dangerous effects of codeine.
So how do codeine side effects impact the body? What are the direct health risks and where can addicts get treatment for codeine dependency?
What are the Basic and Dangerous Side effects of Codeine?
Codeine abuse comes with a series of side effects that can impact the body. Consistent codeine use may lead to less serious side effects while addicts could experience potentially life-threatening side effects. Which is why many need to find a codeine addiction treatment center sooner rather than later.
Harmful but less severe side effects of codeine include the following:
- Nausea and sweating
Some of the most significant and dangerous codeine side effects include:
- Respiratory depression: Overuse of codeine can lead to restricted airways to the lungs, difficulty breathing, and even intense choking or asphyxiation.
- Hypersensitivity: Codeine abuse can also cause your body to have allergy-like reactions to basic substances and even lead to serious immune system damage.
- Lowered blood pressure: Significantly lowered blood pressure can lead to some forms of organ damage due to codeine abuse. Unlike high blood pressure, chronically low blood pressure is when your body is unable to pass blood to your organs at a significant level/rate.
What Are the most Dangerous Codeine Side Effects?
When codeine is significantly abused, it may lead to some lethal side effects and put the addict in an immediate medical emergency. These side effects include:
- Slowed heart rate: A low heart rate that could potentially induce a heart attack or coronary failure
- Shallow breathing: Related to respiratory depression, shallow breathing could potentially lead to intense choking.
- Seizures: Significant codeine abuse and dependency can eventually lead to the development of brain seizures and related neurological issues.
- Infertility and urinary issues: An uncommon side effect of significant codeine use includes sudden urinary issues and even infertility in some patients.
Where Can I Get Help for Codeine Abuse?
If you know a loved one struggling with codeine abuse, then try contacting Crestview Recovery’s codeine addiction treatment center and other treatment options.
Crestview’s 30-bed facility in Portland, Oregon is staffed by intervention specialists, clinical staff, and behavioral therapists to help address the root of your loved one’s codeine addiction. If you would like more information about our services please call us directly at 866.262.0531!
If left unchecked, codeine abuse and the harmful codeine side effects can lead to potentially fatal conditions. Make sure your loved one gets the treatment they deserve before this happens.