No one sets out to develop an addiction to drugs or alcohol. Due to a combination of social, psychological, genetic and environmental factors, some people can’t put their substance of choice aside, even when they know that their relationships, health, and very life may depend on doing so. Shaking off the shackles of addiction without help is nearly impossible for most people. Fortunately, there are several behavioral therapies for drug abuse that can help people get back on their feet.
What Are Behavioral Therapies for Drug Abuse?
There isn’t one single intervention that falls under this definition. Instead, behavioral therapy is an umbrella term that encompasses various approaches. What they all have in common is the recognition that it’s essential to identify the thoughts and behaviors that have led to and go on triggering addiction. Once people know what they are, they can begin working on changing them.
Types of Behavioral Interventions for Drug Abuse
Every person is different; so is each addiction. What’s more, some interventions work better with specific drugs. For that reason, professionals use several types of behavioral therapies for drug abuse. They include the following:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) helps you identify and change the way you deal with the thoughts and feelings around your drug abuse
- Motivational enhancement therapy (MET) helps you cultivate the desire to change and move beyond your addiction.
- Contingency management helps you to find healthy rewards and activities after drug use has stopped
- Family therapy assists the entire family to heal rifts in relationships and make the transition home work well for everyone
- Trauma focused cognitive behavioral therapy helps those who have experienced trauma to deal with its devastating physical and emotional impact
In most cases, these behavioral therapies for drug abuse are only a part, however significant, of a whole person-centered healing process.
How Crestview Recovery Can Help
Portland, Oregon provides the perfect setting for a full-service, individualized drug rehab program that deals with addiction on all levels. Behavioral therapies for drug abuse are just some of the important tools you’ll learn to use as you spend time in our 90-day addiction program. After giving you a comprehensive medical, physical and psychological evaluation, our knowledgeable staff will customize a program uniquely suited to your needs. It will include some of the following:
- Evidence-based addiction therapies including behavioral therapy
- Individual, group, and family therapy
- Focus on dual diagnoses
- Holistic treatment to heal you as a whole person. These include nutritional counseling, outdoor physical activities such as white water rafting, mindfulness meditation, and massage, to name a few
- Partial hospitalization, intensive outpatient, outpatient, and aftercare programs as you progress
Addiction weaves a complicated and destructive web throughout all facets of your life, but you don’t need to untangle it on your own. Let the caring, whole person-centered counselors and specialists at Crestview Recovery give you the helping hand you need to begin a healthy and lasting recovery. Call us today at 866-262-0531.