Many people wonder what to expect from dance therapy and other types of holistic treatments when entering a treatment center that focuses on a more natural way of healing. Before modern medicine, many men and women used holistic methods to treat many different types of ailments. Today, music, art, and dance therapy have proven to be very effective in treating men and women with drug or alcohol addiction or other mental health disorders.
At Crestview Recovery, we work with men and women over the age of 18 who are struggling with addiction, depression, or other mental health illnesses. We help patients realize the power they have within them to manage their symptoms and lead healthy and productive lives. In severe cases, we offer medication-assisted treatment to minimize withdrawal symptoms that are interfering with recovery. For more information about our dance therapy and mental health treatment programs, call 866.262.0531 today to speak with our knowledgeable staff.
How Dance Therapy Works
Dance therapy is a proven psychotherapeutic method that promotes emotional, social, cognitive, and physical integration. It’s an effective form of holistic treatment that helps patients reconnect with their bodies and learn how movement can benefit the recovery process. Dance therapy opens the door for patients to explore their physical sensations, feelings, and emotions in a healthy and fun process.
Dance therapy is available in group and individual settings, and patients will work with their peers and/or family members under the guidance of a trained dance/movement therapist.
Here are some of the ways how dance therapy works:
- It promotes a deeper state of calmness
- Increases patient’s physical self-awareness
- Teaches healthy coping skills for managing physical reactions to triggers and stress
- Improves physical health and stamina
- Eases muscle and joint pain that is common with addiction withdrawals
At Crestview Recovery, our behavioral therapists have experience using dance therapy and addiction treatment methods to treat men and women from all walks of life. We can support you throughout your recovery journey through our residential, outpatient, and alumni programs.
What to Expect from Dance Therapy
Dance therapy is unique to each patient and their range of mobility. There are several different techniques therapists can use, including a technique called mirroring. Patients will stand in front of someone and mimic the actions. This can help them connect with others and teach them how to feel empathy.
Here are some additional benefits that you can expect from dance therapy:
- Therapists will help patients explore the connection between their emotions and the physical reactions they cause
- Patients will practice deep breathing techniques and how to focus on specific areas of tension in their body
- Patients will learn how to express themselves through dance and other improvisational movements
- Therapists will teach them how to process the feelings that their movement creates
- Patients use specific movement or verbal therapeutic interventions that promote healing
Dance therapy and mental health programs can treat a number of disorders, including anxiety disorders, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, and low self-esteem. The skills you learn in dance therapy can teach you how to listen to your body. They can also help you avoid reacting to your cravings or other physical sensations.
Crestview Recovery: Dance Therapy and Other Holistic Therapies for Treating Addiction
At Crestview Recovery, we work with men and women 18 and over and show them the power of dance and how it can positively impact their recovery. During admissions, we will run a full assessment and explain all aspects of your therapy, including what to expect from dance therapy and any other questions you have. In addition, your treatment plan may include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- Group and individual therapy
- Art or music therapy
- Family therapy
- Trauma therapy