Just because you drink alcoholic beverages doesn’t mean that you need treatment for alcoholism. In fact, the majority of people are able to drink casually or socially without experiencing permanent addiction or other repercussions. However, some are physically or psychologically unable to limit their intake of alcohol to healthy levels. This is where destructive addiction comes into the picture.
What Is Casual Drinking?
Did you know that over 87% of U.S. adults have consumed alcohol in some form during their lifetimes? Around 57% of those people indicate that they drink on a monthly basis. Typically, casual drinking is having seven or fewer drinks during any given week as well as having complete control over stopping.
You may think of an alcoholic as always displaying certain symptoms: staggering, slurred speech, inability to function, outbursts of anger and episodes of losing consciousness or passing out. While many alcohol abusers do display these tell-tale signs, others may be able to function, hold down jobs and raise their families without apparent difficulty. Still, others might be socially withdrawn, using alcohol as medication against anxiety or depression. As a general rule, a person in need of professional treatment for alcoholism will manifest the following characteristics:
- Regular, often daily, alcohol consumption
- Inability to stop drinking or control intake
- Acting differently when under the influence
- Frequently blacking out
- Hiding or lying about alcohol use
- Problems with work, school, and relationships because of drinking
- Physical symptoms such as shaking that only stop after consuming alcohol
Ultimately, an alcoholic has given up control of his or her life to the bottle. If you or someone you love is in the endless downward spiral of addiction, it’s time to seek out professional treatment for alcoholism.
How Crestview Can Help with Treatment for Alcoholism
Reaching out for help and support if you or a loved one needs treatment for alcoholism may be one of the hardest things you ever do. It requires bravery and a willingness to admit that addiction has taken control of your life. At Crestview Recovery Center in Portland, Oregon, we understand just how difficult it is to take that first step toward beating your alcoholism. We’re ready to partner with you from this point forward as you work toward restoring yourself or someone you love to health and sobriety.
Your journey starts with our caring, experienced staff. Because we have one of the lowest client-to-staff ratios for addiction treatment, you’ll receive exactly the individualized attention and care you need to conquer the physical and psychological causes and consequences of your addiction. Furthermore, you’ll have the opportunity to participate in group therapy and recreation programs. These will provide you with skills you can take into your sober life. At Crestview Recovery, our clients benefit from the following programs and services while staying in our facility in Portland, Oregon:
- Comprehensive social, psychological, medical and addiction evaluation
- Medically supervised detox at our off-site partner facility to cleanse your body of the physical effects of alcohol
- Individual and group therapy using proven modalities such as cognitive behavioral therapy, dialectical behavior therapy, and holistic interventions
- Recreation and adventure opportunities for health and socialization
- Outpatient support for you and your family
- Relapse prevention and alumni programs
When drinking is more than casual or social and is damaging your relationships, your work, your social life and your physical health, it’s time to get professional treatment for alcoholism. Call Crestview Recovery, one of the country’s premier alcohol treatment programs, for compassionate support today at (866) 580-4160. Our knowledgeable professionals are standing by.