Contingency management therapy is a type of behavioral therapy that is useful in treating men and women who struggle with drug and alcohol addiction. It’s a reward-based system that rewards clients whenever they reach a specific goal according to their treatment program. Contingency management therapy is just one aspect of a mental health treatment program that uses multiple therapies and medical support to help clients reach their recovery goals.
At Crestview Recovery, we provide compassionate support for men and women 18 and over from all walks of life who are struggling with substance abuse or other mental health disorders. Our behavioral therapists have experience treating clients with contingency management techniques and other beneficial therapies. In severe cases, medication-assisted treatment is available to minimize withdrawal symptoms and cravings. Reach out to our friendly staff today by calling 866.262.0531 to enroll in our mental health treatment program.
Contingency Management Therapy in Portland
Contingency management is a very effective form of behavioral therapy that uses incentives to reward clients for reaching program goals. It typically coincides with cognitive-behavioral therapy and holistic therapy to treat their symptoms. Therapists and clients work together to set goals with increasingly valuable incentives. If they fail to meet a goal, incentives are withheld, and they must start again with the lowest valued incentive.
Contingency management therapy uses various types of reward systems to motivate clients toward their goals:
- Vouchers – This reinforcement system uses vouchers for goods and services, movie passes, or gift cards every time they meet a goal. Vouchers become increasingly more valuable with every successful completion of a goal.
- Prize incentives – Clients have a chance to earn cash prizes for various amounts. They earn tickets for a cash drawing every time they reach a goal, attend therapy, or do other positive behaviors.
At Crestview Recovery, our contingency management therapy in Portland effectively treats men and women with substance use disorder or other mental health disorders. The reward-based system of our contingency management therapy in Portland reinforces positive thoughts and behaviors and inspires clients to reach their goals in a healthy way.
Contingency Management Techniques
A contingency management therapy program will vary in length. Some clients will attend therapy for 3–6 months with 1–2 sessions each week. Here is a breakdown of the contingency management techniques:
- Target behavior – Therapist and client work together to set the goal for each week, such as a clean urine sample, completing specific tasks or homework, attending therapy, or other positive behavior.
- Target population – Therapists will set individual and group goals for clients that will change each week.
- Types of incentives – This stage sets various incentives for each goal. Incentives can range from extra time with a favorite activity, movie passes or choosing from a bowl of different incentives.
- Increasing incentives – As clients reach their goals, the more valuable the incentives will become. If they fail to reach a weekly goal, they will have to start again with the lowest valued incentive.
- Frequency of incentives – Therapists will decide how often incentives are given, depending on the type of behavior or goal clients try to meet.
- Receiving the incentive – A time is set for when the incentives are given and will depend on the type of incentive.
- Duration of incentive – This sets the amount of time each client has with certain incentives. This would include extra time with a favorite activity.
Crestview Recovery Offers Effective Contingency Management in Mental Health Treatment
At Crestview Recovery, we offer effective contingency management therapy in Portland for men and women who want help with their addiction to alcohol, meth, or other harmful substances. We offer a full range of treatment options to treat all types of addiction and severity, such as:
- Residential treatment program
- Partial hospitalization program
- Intensive outpatient program
- Separate men’s and women’s rehab
- Telehealth program
- Aftercare program
Today is the day to take that first step toward recovery. Call 866.262.0531 or fill out our online form for more information about our addiction treatment facility.