Men and women require different care and attention when it comes to drug rehab, which is why at Crestview Recovery, our mens drug rehab program in Oregon focuses on gender-specific issues. Some of these issues are difficult to address during addiction treatment programs that focus on both sexes.
How a Mens Drug Rehab Program in Oregon Differs From Traditional Programs
A men-only drug program differs from a co-ed program in several ways. The most obvious difference is that only men can enter these programs. A men’s treatment program is beneficial in several ways. For one thing, experts say men can focus better when there are no members of the opposite sex present. It allows them more freedom to be themselves without fear of embarrassment. This results in them opening up more and sharing their problems without reservation.
Why do men talk less when women are around? Experts believe it’s because of societal expectations. In other words, men feel an awkwardness when in a group setting to discuss their problems. On a subconscious level, they feel like they should be “strong” and in their mind, sharing problems makes them feel weak when women are present.
In addition, another benefit of a male-only rehab program is that it helps eliminate the chance of romantic relationships developing during therapy. By separating men and women into their own treatment programs, you remove the element of attraction. This allows men to focus entirely on the rehab experience and the healing journey.
“This is a wonderful treatment center, this place saved my life. Treatment is what you make of it, some people just aren’t ready to get sober. However, if you are genuinely ready to give recovery an honest chance this treatment is the perfect place to go.”
Logan, Crestview Recovery Alumni
Men-Only Therapy Groups
Therapy is more effective when people can focus on key issues that hit close to home. Studies show that men and women both worry about different issues. Some problems may overlap, but men usually need to spend more time on certain topics than women. At Crestview Recovery rehab, we offer an array of customized addiction therapy services tailored to treat the unique issues men may face while struggling with addiction.
There are several benefits of gender-specific treatment in a men’s drug rehab program. For instance, gender-unique physical and relationship issues. Many men feel more comfortable around male peers with whom they can open up about struggles with work, family, or friends. Contributing to and receiving support from a group of gender peers often allows men to develop or re-learn the social skills they’ll need to make a lasting recovery outside of rehab.
Some of the treatments at a men’s drug rehab program include:
- Dual diagnosis treatment: Often individuals have an underlying mental health issue prompting substance abuse. When this happens, individuals must get treatment not just for their addiction but for the underlying mental health issue or they are more likely to relapse once they complete the program. Some common mental health issues in men include PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) and depression.
- Talk Therapy:Cognitive behavioral therapy seeks to change how men conceive of their emotions to better make positive decisions, and dialectal behavioral therapy. DBT focuses on controlling and regulating one’s emotions.
- Family therapy: As husbands, sons, fathers, and brothers, a man’s family relationships can have a deep and complex effect on their substance use disorder. In family therapy, individuals and their family members learn how to better communicate and support one another to enhance recovery but also improve their connections with one another.
Get the Gender-Specific Rehab That You Need
At Crestview Recovery, we understand that men and women have different needs in rehab programs. We’re proud to offer both men- and women-specific treatment. Each program caters to the needs of its intended target. Some different programs that we offer include:
- Holistic drug rehab – This type of therapy treats the whole person using traditional methods of medicine as well as alternative styles of therapy. Through holistic therapy, you will find new ways to deal with old problems and traumas
- 12 step recovery – The 12-step program has been around for many years and is a popular choice for many. This type of program uses reliance on a higher power
- Men’s alcohol rehab program – The men’s alcohol rehab program is specifically designed for men who struggle with alcohol use disorder. This program provides you with a personalized treatment regimen that addresses your problems
- Extended care addiction treatment – During an extended care treatment program, you will have the opportunity to participate in inpatient rehab. This program provides more supervision and therapy for those men who are struggling with more significant addiction issues
All of Crestview’s therapy programs are focused on getting you to the core of your addiction issues. We help you explore the underlying cause of addiction instead of just covering it over. This ensures that you are prepared to tackle future problems when you transition to the real world. Our goal is to equip you with the tools and strategies to prevent relapsing.