One-on-one counseling in a safe, supportive and confidential environment is a key pillar in any addiction or mental health recovery program. Individual counseling is based on the premise that discussing your mental anguish or physical pain can help lessen it. The more you keep your feelings and frustrations bottled up, the greater you will suffer emotionally and physically.
Have you observed an alcohol-dependent relative always looking unkempt and rarely getting out of his home? Is your addiction to painkillers resulting in extreme mood swings and affecting your relationship with your partner, friends or colleagues? One-on-one therapy can help you come out of the bubble you’ve created around you and lead a happier, more fulfilling life.
Benefits of Individual Counseling
On its own, individual therapy is helpful for maintaining recovery. But it is more effective when combined with group therapy, which gives you the opportunity to learn about others’ struggles, practice open communication, and develop positive relationships.
When you begin counseling with a master therapist at Crestview Recovery, you will:
- Identify the triggers that push you to use drugs, drink alcohol or feel intense emotions
- Share personal stories in a private setting, which will help you rationalize your fears and separate yourself from your problems.
- In collaboration with your therapist, design a recovery plan that aligns with your needs and abilities
- Receive support and encouragement to meet your recovery goals
- Build your confidence and self-esteem
- Stay focused on your goals through your weekly or biweekly sessions with your therapist
Counseling sessions help you uncover valuable insights about yourself or your situation that you wouldn’t have discovered on your own. Additionally, the motivation you receive from your therapist and others in group therapy will increase your desire to change.
Approaches to Individual Addiction or Mental Health Therapy
Addiction and trauma don’t disappear with a couple of individual counseling sessions. There is also the risk of relapse during early recovery, which needs to be addressed during and if possible after recovery, through an aftercare relapse prevention program. One-on-one therapies include approaches that teach you to proactively manage and control your addiction. The approaches help your recovery process in the following ways:
- Making you acknowledge that you are living with an addiction or mental health problem (overcoming denial)
- Empowering you with strategies to respond in the negative to cravings, such as taking a walk, talking to a friend, going for a drive or engaging in any activity that shifts the focus of your thoughts
- Equipping you with affirmation techniques that remind you of your progress and motivate you to abstain
- Making lifelong recovery a priority
What to Expect in Therapy
Usually, a session lasts anywhere from 50 minutes to an hour. De-addiction and childhood trauma are well-addressed by one-on-one counseling. In patients with dependent personality disorder, individual counseling poses the risk of creating emotional dependency on the therapist. Patients may be prescribed a different recovery plan.
Develop a Positive Therapeutic Alliance at Crestview Recovery
Our master therapists conduct individual and group therapy for a broad spectrum of substance addiction, including alcohol, cocaine, and prescription drugs. They also lead 1-on-1 sessions for patients living with mental health issues such as borderline personality disorder and childhood trauma.
The Crestview facility offers a safe, empathetic, and lively atmosphere. We apply both evidence based practice and holistic rehab approaches such as outdoor therapy and art therapy to encourage all-around healing. Call us at 866-262-0531 to take the first steps towards transforming your life.