We all feel angry once in a while. It is a natural emotion that we feel from time to time in certain situations and it can help prepare our bodies for a stressful experience. In some men and women, it may feel like they are angry all the time and are unable to feel any other emotion. If this happens to you, you can help control your anger by gaining anger management skills through an anger management program.
At Crestview Recovery, we help men and women over 18 who struggle to control their anger. We will sit down with you to determine what is causing your anger and develop a treatment plan that includes various behavioral therapies that will give you new coping skills and healthy habits for managing your anger. For more information about our anger management program, call 866.262.0531 today to speak with one of our knowledgeable staff members.
The Importance of Anger Management Skills
No one likes to be around someone who is angry all the time. It causes tension and stress in others and creates an unhealthy atmosphere around the person. This can negatively affect their relationships and physical and mental health. Men and women who are angry all the time put themselves at an increased risk of:
- Heart disease
- Weakened immune system
- High levels of inflammation
- Increased anxiety and depression
- Lung disease
- A shortened lifespan
Anger can be beneficial for you if expressed appropriately and not left to linger. It can help get you through a tense situation by giving you the courage to stand up for your beliefs or point of view. At Crestview Recovery, we will teach you healthy anger management skills. As a result, you can significantly reduce your angry outbursts and stop letting your anger ruin your happiness.
Tips for Anger Management
Anger management techniques are useful in helping clients learn how to process their anger without it affecting their behavior. Instead of lashing out in anger, clients calmly deal with their thoughts and emotions and get through the situation without yelling or feeling tense. Here are five tips for anger management that you can use to calm down when you begin to feel angry:
- Deep breathing exercises – Taking repeated, slow breaths is a simple and effective technique for calming you down. Breathe in for four seconds, hold for one, then breathe out for four seconds. You can do this as often as necessary whenever you feel like you are losing control.
- Keep a journal – Writing down your experience with anger will help you understand what led to the angry outburst and what technique works best for managing it. Each person is unique and different techniques can have better outcomes. Your therapist can help you find which anger management techniques work best for your symptoms.
- Imagine a relaxing scene – If you are in a quiet space where you can close your eyes in silence, imagine your happy place. This can be anything that brings you joy, such as playing with a puppy, going for a walk, or relaxing on a private beach.
- Exercise – Participating in a regular exercise program can burn off any pent-up energy that you may feel after an angry outburst. Exercising is beneficial for your physical and mental health and will help regulate your emotions.
- Meditation – This is a proven technique for helping calm racing minds and helps people get a better understanding of themselves. You can practice meditation anywhere you have a quiet space, and it can take as little as five minutes.
Crestview Recovery Provides Effective Anger Management Techniques for Adults
At Crestview Recovery, we support men and women who struggle to manage their anger through our anger management program. Clients gain valuable anger management skills to confront their feelings rationally and stop any bad behavior before it happens.
Stop letting your anger ruin your life and affect your personal and work relationships. Call 866.262.0531 to speak with our experienced staff about enrolling in our anger management program today.