When you have a substance abuse disorder, the desire for drugs or alcohol overshadows everything else in your life. In an effective rehab center, you learn to focus your attention on the things that truly matter while dealing with cravings in a healthy way. At Crestview Recovery in Oregon, we teach our clients life skills rehab for recovery lost during the weeks, months, or years dedicated to addiction. Call us at 866.262.0531 to learn more about the following programs:
- Residential addiction treatment
- Intensive outpatient treatment (IOP)
- Partial hospitalization program (PHP
- Sober living program
What Are Life Skills for Recovery?
Here are four imperatives to help you concentrate on rebuilding your life:
- A healthier you: Sober living goes beyond giving up drugs and alcohol. Following recovery, you should hold yourself accountable for making healthier decisions. This includes eating right and engaging in moderate exercise. Another aspect of health addresses your emotional state. Learning how to control your reaction to anxiety and stress can help prevent relapse and keep you on the road to recovery.
- Stable home life: Home is so much more than a place to stay. You need space to unwind and relax at the end of the day. If you have to live with other people, make sure they share your beliefs and that you can live comfortably with them. Interpersonal relationships are one of the main triggers of relapse. Therefore, only surround yourself with people you can trust and get along with. Our family therapy programs help you begin to rebuild broken relationships.
- Living life with purpose: It takes a lot of courage to sign up for a stay at a rehab center. After recovery, you should find things that make life meaningful and engage in those activities regularly. Explore your interests through volunteering, taking a class, or joining a club.
- Rejoin your community: Making connections that matter can help you maintain your sobriety. You can rejoin your community by attending worship services or volunteering at a long-term care facility. Getting to know the people in your neighborhood can help you appreciate the love and support you received during your time at our men’s rehab program or women’s drug rehab program.
- Paying it forward: This involves offering your time and energy to others who are struggling to get sober. You can do this by attending Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous or helping a friend find their way to recovery.
Focal Areas for Life Skills
Write down the life skills for recovery that you would like to concentrate on. Previous clients have chosen to concentrate on the following areas:
- Rebuilding family relationships
- Emotional health
- Helping others
- Resolving debt
- Resolving legal issues
By cooking your own meals, you can use fresh ingredients and refuel your body after months or years of neglect. It’s also important to set and achieve personal goals. Having a sense of purpose gives you hope and satisfaction, leaving little room for thoughts of drugs and alcohol.
When you set goals, make them specific and achievable. Here are a few examples of positive wellness goals:
- I will go for a run twice a week.
- I will open a savings account today.
- I will attend an addiction support group meeting every day.
- I will clean my room, apartment, or home every Sunday.
Drug and Alcohol Rehab Center in Oregon
At Crestview Recovery, our rehab center treats men and women with substance use disorders. Life skills for recovery form a critical part of our approach to long-term sobriety. We hope you find these wellness tips helpful and encourage you to create your own list of life skills to work on. Contact us at 866.262.0531 for more information on our excellent staff and addiction recovery services.