Family therapy can make the addiction recovery process more successful over the long term. Why? Because families learn to create a stable home environment while getting the mental health support they need to create a stable home. Men and women who struggle with addiction and their families can participate in a family therapy program as part of their treatment program. In the process, they will address any issues that may be contributing to the addiction and show everyone how they can be supportive of their child or siblings’ addiction recovery.
At Crestview Recovery, we provide compassionate and effective addiction treatment programs that simultaneously treat the physical and mental aspects of addiction. Moreover, we help clients understand what led to their addiction and form healthy coping skills to process their emotions without abusing drugs or alcohol. Call 866.262.0531 today to learn about the many benefits of family therapy for addiction recovery.
Why is Family Therapy Important for Addiction Recovery?
Your family plays a large role in your ability to abstain from drugs or alcohol. There’s a good reason for that. They are the ones who taught you how to communicate, build relationships, and cope with any troubling thoughts and emotions. Families that are close and look out for each other will have naturally developed coping skills to process their feelings. Those who come from families who don’t practice open communication or have substance abuse issues of their own are more likely to turn to drugs or alcohol instead of asking for help.
Each person has a role to play within the family unit when it comes to addiction. These include:
- Addicted individual
- Lost Child
Family therapy can help families understand the role they played in the addiction and how they can begin creating a stronger family bond. At Crestview Recovery, we can help you understand these roles and rebuild any broken relationships caused by the addiction. Therefore, families will participate in one-on-one and group therapy to work on any issues that are getting in the way of the recovery process.
3 Benefits of Family Therapy
There are many benefits of family counseling that can aid in the recovery process. Parents and siblings will learn how their encouragement and support will benefit the recovery and resolve any issues that are hindering anyone’s mental health. Here are three benefits of family therapy that will lead to long-lasting sobriety:
- A safe space for everyone to talk. Parents and siblings will work with therapists to vent any frustrations they feel and understand how addiction plays a role in tearing apart the family structure. They will get the mental health support they need while learning to contribute to the recovery process.
- Create healthy and supportive relationships. Addiction can be devastating to relationships, and families with addiction issues typically have a higher divorce rate. One of the benefits of family counseling is to help everyone in the family learn to forgive and move on. They learn how to build trust and create healthy relationships with each other.
- Communicate more effectively. Communicating with people is a skill everyone needs to develop. Families that internalize their feelings will benefit from family therapy as it works to show family members how to communicate and listen to each other.
Crestview Recovery: Providing You with All of the Benefits of Family Therapy for Addiction Recovery
At Crestview Recovery, we help men and women over the age of 18 and their families struggling with addiction. Clients will receive a comprehensive examination to determine the right treatment plan based on their physical and mental health. We employ various behavioral therapies in our addiction treatment programs, such as:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- Family therapy
- Group and individual therapy
- Trauma therapy
- Holistic therapy
If you or a family member is struggling with addiction and ready for a positive change, call 866.262.0531 or fill out our online contact form.