Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) is a non-invasive form of therapy that uses magnetic fields to treat depression, PTSD, and other mental health disorders. A TMS therapy program in Portland is useful in treating men and women whose symptoms are not reduced through normal behavioral therapy and medication. A mental health treatment program that uses TMS is essential for men and women whose depression or other mental health illnesses are severe enough to cause a major disruption in their lives.
At Crestview Recovery, we provide compassionate support for men and women 18 and over who are struggling with PTSD, generalized anxiety disorder, or other mental health conditions. Our therapists are certified in transcranial magnetic stimulation and other beneficial therapies. They will use this information to minimize symptoms and give clients the skills and confidence they need to lead happier and more fulfilling lives. For more information about our TMS therapy program in Portland, call 866.262.0531 today to speak with our knowledgeable staff about enrolling in our mental health treatment program.
TMS Therapy Program in Portland
TMS therapy was developed in the 1980s by Anthony Barker and a team of physicists using technology that was first invented in the 1800s by Michael Faraday. A magnetic coil is placed on different parts of the client’s head. The coil then sends safe magnetic pulses into the brain for deep brain stimulation. This technique is proven to reduce symptoms of many mental health disorders that are not affected by medication or other types of therapy. TMS therapy is available through inpatient and outpatient treatment programs and typically consists of 20-30, 40-minute sessions.
TMS therapy program in Portland is an evidence-backed treatment that can minimize the symptoms of:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Parkinson’s disease
- Alzheimer’s disease
At Crestview Recovery, our therapists have TMS certifications. They will work with men and women from all walks of life whose symptoms are not responding to normal treatment. It’s a safe therapeutic treatment that can reduce the symptoms that are disrupting their lives.
What to Expect from TMS Therapy and Mental Health Treatment
Transcranial magnetic stimulation therapy offers a safe method for reducing symptoms with minimal side effects. Clients may feel tingling, spasms or facial twitching, headaches, or mild scalp discomfort during the procedure.
Here is an example of a typical TMS therapy and Mental health treatment program:
- You will sit in a comfortable chair while the therapist places a magnetic coil on your head in different areas with proper ear protection. You will begin to feel tapping on your head. Also, you’ll hear clicking noises for a few seconds during the mapping process. Therapists will adjust the magnetic level until they see your hands and fingers twitching, signaling that it is working.
- Each session can last up to 40 minutes. During this time, you will continue to hear clicking noises and feel a tapping sensation on your forehead.
- There is no anesthesia necessary, and you will be awake and alert during the procedure.
- Clients can drive or return to work or home once the session is complete. Symptoms will begin to diminish within a few weeks of treatment and can disappear completely for some clients.
- TMS therapy will coincide with other behavioral therapy and medication-assisted treatment for a well-rounded treatment experience.
Crestview Recovery: Your Best Resource for Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Therapy
At Crestview Recovery, we help men and women 18 and over whose depression, anxiety, or PTSD symptoms are negatively impacting their lives. We use TMS therapy to treat clients whose symptoms persist even after participating in medication-assisted treatment and behavioral therapy. When combined with TMS therapy, some clients are able to see a complete reduction in their symptoms.
Take that first step toward a better life by calling 866.262.0531 or filling out our online form today to speak with our caring staff about enrolling in our mental health treatment center.
Since 2016, Dr. Merle Williamson, a graduate of Oregon Health Sciences University, has been the Medical Director at Crestview Recovery, bringing a rich background in addiction medicine from his time at Hazelden Treatment Center. He oversees outpatient drug and alcohol treatments, providing medical care, setting policies, detox protocols, and quality assurance measures. Before specializing in addiction medicine, he spent 25 years in anesthesiology, serving as Chair of Hospital Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee and Chief of Anesthesia at Kaiser Permanente. This experience gives him a unique perspective on treating prescription drug addiction.