What is TMS Therapy? Transcranial magnetic stimulations, or TMS, is a noninvasive procedure that uses magnetic pulses to stimulate nerve cells in the brain where there is decreased activity. It’s a painless procedure that is proven to be effective in helping patients through their recovery process. TMS therapy is very effective in treating a number of mental health disorders that are causing a significant impact on people’s lives.
At Crestview Recovery, we help young men and women who are struggling with depression, substance use disorder, or other mental health disorders. Our behavioral therapists have experience treating patients through a number of treatment options. Also, they can incorporate medications that minimize the symptoms that are interfering with the recovery process. To learn more about our TMS therapy and how it works, call 866.262.0531 or fill out our online form today, and we will get back to you within 24 hours.
What is TMS Therapy, and How Can it Benefit Your Recovery?
TMS therapy is a safe and effective treatment method that uses electromagnetic coils placed in different spots on your head. The device sends electromagnetic pulses into your brain. These impulses stimulate the nerve cells in areas that are associated with your disorder. In cases of depression, for example, the coil is placed over the left dorsolateral prefrontal cortex.
TMS therapy has proven to be very effective in treating depression in patients who are resistant to antidepressant medications or psychotherapy. Sessions typically last for 4–5 weeks, with five sessions per week lasting 30–60 minutes.
Treating mental illness with TMS therapy can benefit many types of illnesses, including:
- Major depressive disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Generalized anxiety disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Stroke rehabilitation
- Alzheimer’s disease
At Crestview Recovery, we offer constructive treatment programs that work to address all aspects of their condition. We take the time to get to know you and go over your treatment plan. We will answer any questions you have, including what is TMS therapy and what other treatment programs you will be participating in.
How Does TMS Therapy Work?
TMS therapy is a noninvasive procedure that is safe and doesn’t include any implantation, electrodes, or other invasive procedure. Side effects are minimal and can include tingling, face twitching, headaches, and some scalp discomfort where the device is placed. They typically go away a few minutes after the procedure is complete.
How does TMS therapy work? Here is what you can expect from your TMS therapy program:
- During the first appointment, therapists will determine the placement of the device and the level of magnetic pulses that will cause a reaction. It may take a little time to find the right settings, and patients may experience hand twitching during this time. You will hear clicking noises and feel tapping on your head as the device is turned off and on again to create a pulse.
- On your next appointment, you will sit in a comfortable chair for 40–60 minutes while the device is activated and continually send pulses into your brain. During the procedure, you will feel a light tapping and hear clicking noises. All during this time, you will remain awake and alert during the procedure.
- At the end of the session, you can return to work or other treatment programs without any recovery time. The effects of TMS therapy may take a few treatments, and most patients experience significant relief from their symptoms.
Treating mental illness with TMS therapy is becoming more popular at treatment centers all across the country. It’s known for its effectiveness in treating depression and other debilitating mental health illnesses.
Treating Mental Illness With TMS Therapy At Crestview Recovery
At Crestview Recovery, we help men and women 18 and over who are struggling with depression, PTSD, or other mental health disorders. We use TMS therapy in conjunction with behavioral and holistic therapies for a well-rounded treatment experience.
To learn more about TMS therapy, call 866.262.0531 today to discover all of the benefits of enrolling in our mental health treatment facility.