Trauma refers to intense emotional and physical experiences caused by a stressful event or events. When an individual experiences accidents, violence, natural disaster, or abuse, it can all lead to trauma. Additionally, many people who experienced trauma tend to abuse substances. A trauma-focused cognitive-behavioral therapy or another trauma-informed approach is the ideal way to take them back to the road of recovery.
Traumatic experiences can have long-lasting negative effects on a person’s mental, social, physical, or emotional health. Each person also experiences and deals with trauma in different ways. Trauma can change the way victims view themselves and the world. For instance, they may think they are worthless, have low self-esteem, or lose trust in relationships. Crestview Recovery is here to provide you with trauma-informed therapy and other mental health treatment and addiction programs to help you overcome trauma and start living your life without fear.
What Is a Trauma-Informed Approach?
A trauma-informed approach seeks to understand an individual’s trauma and the impact it has on their life and behavior. The approach includes the following steps:
- Realizing symptoms of trauma
- Recognizing how trauma affects the individual and family
- Responding with the right treatment programs
- Preventing or avoiding the experience of more trauma
Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy at a Rehab Center
Trauma is a common underlying cause of substance abuse. For many people, traumatic experiences of childhood or the distant past can be precursors of addictive behavior. Trauma-informed therapy is very helpful in drawing out repressed experiences to achieve some form of resolution.
Some rehab centers also offer trauma-focused cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) as a part of their treatment programs. Trauma-focused CBT is an individual talk therapy where the client and therapist work together to identify the relationship between a client’s thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.
Highly trained therapists at rehab facilities like Crestview Recovery seek to understand the past experiences that influence addictive behaviors. Then, through CBT, they help the client develop coping skills to overcome negative behavior patterns. Learning these skills also helps the individual develop healthier coping mechanisms.
Begin Healing from Trauma at Crestview Recovery
At Crestview Recovery, we offer comprehensive addiction treatment programs and mental health services that help individuals overcome trauma and substance abuse. In addition to a trauma-informed approach to addiction treatment, our facility focuses on:
- Safety: We provide a safe physical, emotional, and psychological environment and services conducive to overcoming trauma.
- Transparency and trust: We gain the trust and confidence of our members by being transparent about the programs, expectations, and outcomes.
- Collaboration: Through family and group therapies, we also provide opportunities for connecting and collaborating with others to heal faster. We also work with the survivors and their loved ones to achieve the best outcomes.
- Empowerment and choice: We empower our clients to make informed choices in a safe environment. We also provide them with the knowledge and skills to make these choices through mindfulness, cognitive behavioral therapy, art therapy, yoga, and dialectical behavioral therapy.
- Gender and culture issues: We follow a gender and culture-sensitive approach to facilitate holistic healing.
At Crestview Recovery, we offer dual diagnosis treatment to treat both the underlying trauma and your substance abuse addiction at the same time. This gives you the best chance of recovery and an opportunity to heal.
Contact Crestview Recovery
When you are ready to being recovery, reach out to us about our trauma-informed approach. Crestview Recovery in Portland, Oregon, is the ideal place to achieve full resolution of trauma. Call our residential treatment center at 866.262.0531 to learn how we can help you begin healing from your past with our trauma-informed approach to treatment.