When a person develops an addiction, the disease also impacts other elements of their psychological health. This condition is called a co-occurring disorder. It can make recovery very difficult for individuals. As a result, it is crucial to understand the importance of dual diagnosis treatment. Most rehab centers offer dual diagnosis treatment as a care option. It helps give you the best chance to recover. Read on to learn more about co-occurring disorders and how dual diagnosis treatment can help you overcome addiction.
Co-Occurring Disorders Worsen Drug Addiction
Before discussing the importance of dual diagnosis treatment, it is critical to understand that this kind of treatment is designed specifically to treat co-occurring disorders. This term indicates a situation in which a person experiences addiction alongside one or more emotional problems. Though the spectrum of possible conditions is quite vast, a few of the most common conditions you can experience include:
- Depression – Many people take substances to alleviate the symptoms of depression, particularly stimulants, though some may also abuse alcohol and marijuana
- Anxiety – The emotional impact of stress is often so high that many people abuse substances to decrease their symptoms
- Anti-social disorders – Those with these disorders often behave in ways counter to society, such as abusing drugs
- Body dysmorphia – Often, people who poorly perceive their body may abuse drugs to lose weight or to calm their anxiety
- Trauma – The devastating effects of trauma – such as losing a loved one – may push a person to try various types of substances
No matter what the influencing factor is, co-occurring disorders are very painful and hard to tolerate. Those who experience them may quickly find that they need treatment to not only avoid addiction but also to help them deal with the impact of these disorders as well. Many of these conditions cause individuals to turn to drugs or alcohol to cope. That is why dual-diagnosis treatment is important for individuals who experience one or more of these conditions.
In this situation, understanding the importance of dual diagnosis treatment is simple because it can help transform a person’s life for the better. While you are researching rehab facilities, make sure to choose a treatment center that provides treatment for co-occurring disorders so you can get the help you need to live a life free of addiction.
The Importance of Dual Diagnosis Treatment for These Issues
Dual diagnosis treatment is the process of assessing and treating addiction and all underlying disorders at the same time. It starts by placing a person in professional psychological counseling with an expert to understand the extent of their addiction fully. Then, the counselor will use other treatment methods to gauge their emotional concerns. These various treatment methods include:
- Psychotherapy – Talking with a counselor to better understand the emotional impact of addiction
- Behavior adjustment – Changing how you act to prevent further drug abuse
- Medications – Those who have an imbalanced chemical state may need many types of medications
Just as importantly, high-quality dual diagnosis in drug rehab can help a person regain a more stable lifestyle and mindset to fight addiction triggers. For example, a person who abuses drugs due to anxiety can learn coping mechanisms, such as meditation, that manage their worries instead.
Do Not Let Drugs Take Over Your Life
As you can see, the importance of dual diagnosis treatment is very high. If you find that you want this type of care, contact us at Crestview Recovery now by calling 866.262.0531. Our experts have years of experience with this treatment option and fully understand how to implement it for your needs. So please verify your insurance and make this vital investment in your health and recovery.