Thinking about doing something, like quitting drugs or alcohol or eating healthy, is very easy to do. Acting on those thoughts is where most people struggle and need some assistance finding the motivation to act. Motivational interviewing techniques guide men and women toward connecting their thoughts with action to elicit change. A motivational interviewing program is an essential part of any mental health treatment plan that helps clients find their motivation for making positive changes in their lives.
At Crestview Recovery, we provide effective care for men and women 18 and over who are struggling with depression, substance abuse, or other mental health disorders. Our therapists are trained in motivational interviewing and other behavioral therapies. They will work one-on-one with each client to motivate them toward reaching their recovery goals. To learn more about our motivational interviewing program, call 866.262.0531 or fill out our online form today, and we will get back to you within 24 hours.
Motivational Interviewing Techniques
Motivational interviewing helps clients explore their feelings and find their motivation for change. It’s an effective form of therapy where therapists ask open-ended questions to help clients explore their feelings and find their motivation for making positive changes. in addition, motivational interviewing is very effective when combined with other behavioral therapies.
There are four motivational interviewing techniques that therapists use to help clients change their attitudes toward specific actions or behaviors:
- Open-ended questions. Therapists will ask thought-provoking questions that encourage the client to think about their response. Questions start with, “How would you…” and, “What would you do if….”
- Affirmations. Therapists use affirmations to encourage positive thinking that leads to change. This can greatly improve a client’s confidence in making life-altering changes.
- Reflective listening. This technique is how therapists show clients they are actively listening to them by restating their answers as a question. This helps the client restate how they feel and learn how to better express their feelings.
- Summarizing. Therapists will summarize certain parts of the discussion throughout the session. This helps them to clarify thoughts and give clients a chance to reflect on what they are saying vs. what they are feeling.
At Crestview Recovery, our treatment programs are tailored around each client’s unique symptoms and focus on encouraging them to make real changes toward a healthier lifestyle.
What Will I Learn in Motivational Interviewing?
Change can be very difficult for some people. This is true even if they know how beneficial those changes can be toward their health and well-being. During motivational interviewing, clients will work with therapists toward finding their internal motivation to make changes in their lives.
Here are a few things you will learn using motivational interviewing techniques:
- Trust and self-confidence. Therapists work with clients to show them how to trust in themselves. In addition, they can increase their self-confidence in their ability to make healthy changes.
- Taking responsibility. Clients learn to own up to their actions and take responsibility for any negative thoughts or behaviors that harm themselves and others.
- Be more receptive to treatment. Motivational interviewing can give clients the motivation to commit to their therapy and reach their goals on time and with fewer setbacks.
- The power to change. Therapists help clients discover their internal power to make life-altering changes. They develop a healthy attitude about making changes and finding their motivation to make other positive changes in their lives.
Motivational Interviewing as Part of an Effective Treatment Program at Crestview Recovery
At Crestview Recovery, our treatment programs include motivational interviewing, behavioral therapy, holistic therapy, and medication-assisted treatment for a well-rounded treatment experience. Portland residents 18 and over will find compassionate support for their depression, substance use disorder, or other mental health disorders through our residential or outpatient treatment options. If you are ready to make a positive change in your life, call 866.262.0531 to speak with our staff about enrolling in our treatment center in Portland.
Since 2016, Dr. Merle Williamson, a graduate of Oregon Health Sciences University, has been the Medical Director at Crestview Recovery, bringing a rich background in addiction medicine from his time at Hazelden Treatment Center. He oversees outpatient drug and alcohol treatments, providing medical care, setting policies, detox protocols, and quality assurance measures. Before specializing in addiction medicine, he spent 25 years in anesthesiology, serving as Chair of Hospital Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee and Chief of Anesthesia at Kaiser Permanente. This experience gives him a unique perspective on treating prescription drug addiction.