Depression is a mental health disorder that affects more than 20 million men and women each year. It affects each person differently, and it takes understanding a person’s personal history to treat their symptoms effectively. One effective way of treating depression is with music therapy. Research has proven there are clear benefits of music therapy for depression treatment when combined with other behavioral therapies through an accredited treatment program or facility.
At Crestview Recovery, we help men and women 18 and over who are struggling with depression, substance abuse, or other mental health disorders. We offer a full range of behavioral and holistic therapies, including music therapy, to treat our client’s mental health in a safe and comfortable environment. To learn more about how music therapy helps with depression, call 866.262.0531 or fill out our online form today, and we will get back to you within 24 hours.
Using Music Therapy for Depression
Music is a powerful therapeutic tool. It can inspire and motivate and create visions of love and joy. It can also make you want to get up and sing and dance to the beat. Recent research has found that music is very beneficial in reducing depression symptoms when combined with behavioral therapy and medication for severe symptoms.
Music therapy helps with depression in a number of ways. Men and women will work with a therapist in a group setting and will participate in a number of activities. These include:
- Making music
- Writing songs
- Listening to music
- Discussing music
At Crestview Recovery, we understand how music therapy helps with depression and use it as part of our depression treatment programs. Clients will participate in music therapy with their peers for a fun and uplifting experience. Along the way, they can build confidence and create strong relationships with their peers.
5 Benefits of Music Therapy for Depression Treatment
Music therapy is proving to be very beneficial in treating depression when combined with other cognitive-behavioral therapy and other behavioral therapies. Clients will help pick the music that has the most positive effect on them and discover new music that they can enjoy.
Here are five benefits of music therapy for depression treatment:
- Listening to the right music releases endorphins that make you feel happy, relieve muscle tension, decrease stress, and have other calming effects. Meditative music is very effective in creating a stress-free environment that can be an escape from the outside world.
- It activates different parts of the brain responsible for memory retention, sensory stimulation, and decision-making. It’s a natural distraction from negative thinking patterns. Moreover, it gives client’s something else to focus on and stay in the moment.
- Music therapy for depression can also lower blood pressure and heart rate. Research has proven some sounds have a direct impact on the body and offer a natural way to ease stress.
- Music therapy creates a social connection, which is very important for depression treatment. Clients can bond with their peers over different music and create strong, healthy relationships.
- Music helps create a mindful state where clients stay in the present instead of focusing on past or future events. Putting on a favorite tune is an excellent way to distract from negative thinking.
Crestview Recovery Offers Music Therapy for Clients Struggling with Depression
At Crestview Recovery, we provide compassionate and effective treatment programs for men and women from all walks of life who are struggling with depression. We believe in a more holistic approach to treating all mental health disorders and use music therapy along with other forms of therapies that include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- Nutritional therapy
- Art therapy
- Animal therapy
To experience the benefits of music therapy for depression and other holistic therapies, call 866.262.0531 to speak with our friendly staff about enrolling in our depression treatment center in Portland.