Social anxiety is a serious disorder that affects men and women of all ages. Symptoms can be mild, from sweaty palms and feeling butterflies in your stomach to more severe symptoms such as hyperventilating, fear, and panic. There are many tips for social anxiety that can give men and women healthy ways of dealing with their symptoms. Anxiety treatment programs, for example, are highly effective in reducing social anxiety symptoms and helping patients build healthy coping skills instead of turning to drugs and alcohol.
At Crestview Recovery, we support young men and women 18 and over who have social anxiety through our social anxiety disorder treatment in Oregon. Moreover, we take the time to work with each client to help them cope with any negative feelings that are getting in the way of having a healthy social life using a variety of behavioral and holistic therapies. Call 866.262.0531 today to speak with our friendly staff about healthy tips on dealing with social anxiety.
Understanding Social Anxiety
Social anxiety is a type of phobia that can create uncomfortable symptoms in any social situation. People can obsess over what they think will happen or feel like others will judge them if they are in public. This can lead many people to avoid hanging out with friends and family and negatively impact their mental health. Agoraphobia is a severe form of social phobia where people are deathly afraid of leaving their homes.
Common symptoms of social anxiety can include:
- Rapid heartbeat
- Sweaty palms
- Butterflies in your stomach
- Unable to think
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Feelings of fear and panic
Severe cases of social anxiety can lead to isolation, loneliness, depression, and substance abuse. At Crestview Recovery, we know how difficult it can be to manage social anxiety. We work with clients in private and group therapy sessions to build healthy coping skills that will greatly reduce the risk of worsening their mental health.
4 Tips for Managing Social Anxiety
People can use many techniques and tips for social anxiety to avoid letting their symptoms get in the way. Many actors and presenters will feel nervous before going on stage, and they use that nervousness to push them forward instead of retreating.
Here are four tips for social anxiety that can improve your social interactions:
- Take a deep breath – Deep breathing is a mindfulness technique that can slow rapid heart rates and racing minds. Breathe in for four seconds, hold for one, then breathe out for four seconds. You can do this anytime you begin to feel nervous or apprehensive. Athletes will use this technique to help calm them before a race.
- Stop negative thinking – Before your social engagement, don’t let any negative thoughts about what you think may happen stop you from having a good time. When you hear those negative thoughts repeating, focus on the fun times you will have with your friends.
- Know your triggers – If you have a date coming up and you know that you will forget what to say and feel nervous, you can practice what you will say in front of a mirror. Get comfortable looking at yourself and repeating different greetings or topics to discuss. Have fun with it.
- Take a debate or acting class – These classes will help clients get used to being in front of a group of peers and improve their communication skills and self-esteem.
Choose Crestview Recovery for More Healthy Tips for Social Anxiety
At Crestview Recovery, we teach young men and women how to deal with social anxiety through our anxiety treatment programs. Clients will participate in various group and individual therapies to better understand their thoughts and emotions. Furthermore, therapists teach them new coping skills to stop letting their anxiety interfere with their daily lives. Our social anxiety disorder treatment in Oregon can greatly improve your social interactions and relationships.
Call 866.262.0531 today or fill out our online form to see how Crestview Recovery can help reduce your social anxiety symptoms.