Heroin is one of the most addictive illicit drugs available. While it has a long history of being well known as a dangerous substance, heroin addiction has risen over the last few years. Many experts believe this is connected to the opioid epidemic facing much of the nation. This crisis has inflicted an economic burden on the United States of an estimated $78.5 billion a year. Heroin addiction isn’t just a problem for the individual user. It affects friends and family and even strangers. This is why it’s so important for those abusing heroin to find treatment at Lake Oswego heroin rehab center. At Crestview Recovery, you or your loved one can get the support necessary to beat heroin addiction and heal from its withdrawal symptoms.
Heroin Withdrawal Symptoms
As an opiate, heroin suppresses the central nervous system slowing an individual’s heart rate, affecting their blood pressure, body temperature regulation, and breathing. Heroin withdrawal is different for each client. However, certain factors will determine the intensity and duration of heroin withdrawal symptoms. For instance, how was the drug abused, how much was taken, and how regularly does the individual use the drug. Withdrawal symptoms can range from relatively mild to severe. For example, some common heroin withdrawal symptoms include:
- Mild symptoms: Some people will experience flu-like symptoms. Runny nose, teary eyes, sweats and chills, muscle aches, cramps, and nausea are common.
- Moderate symptoms: As withdrawal progresses or an individual has more of an impact form the drug they may endure vomiting and diarrhea, tremors (shaking hands or unsteady limbs), difficulty concentrating on simple tasks, and deep fatigue.
- Severe symptoms: More intense symptoms include sudden high blood pressure (hypertension), slowed or impaired breathing, elevated heart rate (arrhythmia), intense sleep issues or insomnia, and mental disorders like depression.
The professionals at Lake Oswego heroin rehab center have the experience necessary to guide clients through detox and into treatment.
Treatment at Lake Oswego Heroin Rehab Center
Making it through detox and enduring heroin’s withdrawal symptoms means clients can begin treatment. Addiction isn’t just physical; it’s psychological as well. This is why the professionals at Lake Oswego heroin rehab center offer a variety of treatments. Frequently, clients suffering from substance use disorder also have an underlying mental health issue. Therapists and counselors call this co-occurring disorder. Clients may not even know they suffer from depression, anxiety disorder, or PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder). But through dual diagnosis treatment, their mental health issues are treated at the same time as their addiction is. This reduces the risk of relapse when clients complete treatment and return to their daily lives.
Crestview Recovery believes in giving clients the best chance at recovery. Some individuals need more time to work through their issues and beat addiction. Thus, we designed our extended care program to meet this need. Once a client successfully completes treatment, they need resources to keep their sobriety intact. Aftercare is specifically made for this giving clients further access to therapy and programs to help them.
Depending on the severity of a client’s addiction, the medical professionals at Lake Oswego heroin rehab center may decide medication is the best form of treatment. Several medications treat heroin addiction including:
- Methadone: This medication aids in detox by relieving withdrawal symptoms. Also, it serves as a long-term maintenance medicine for opioid dependence.
- Buprenorphine: Another medication that may shorten detox, when combined with other medications such as Suboxone it helps avoid dependence.
- Clonidine: Doctors use this to help patients reduce their anxiety, agitation, aches, and cramping. While it doesn’t alleviate cravings for heroin, it manages other physical symptoms.
- Naltrexone: This medication helps individuals break their physical addiction. Clients can take this relapse prevention medication as a pill or an injection.
No matter what your needs are, Crestview Recovery’s Lake Oswego heroin rehab center can help. We know heroin addiction affects us all. But with support, individuals can move past addiction. This is why we offer a range of therapies and treatment programs. For example, we provide:
- Residential Treatment
- Partial Hospitalization Programs (PHP)
- Intensive Outpatient Programs (IOP)
So contact us at 866.262.0531 to learn more about how we can help you or a loved one put heroin addiction in the past.