Contrary to popular belief, eating disorders affect both men and women. In fact, more men need eating disorder treatment than ever before. Regardless of gender, people with these disorders also often suffer from substance use disorder and other co-occurring conditions.
Women make up 90 percent of people in treatment for anorexia or bulimia. But experts believe many more men live with one of these problems every day, not just the remaining 10 percent. Women often find it easier to seek help for their problem. Men feel more stigmatized by society today when it comes to eating disorders.
Why Both Genders Need Eating Disorder Treatment
Male or female, you need help for your eating disorder. This help comes from a qualified rehab treatment center. If you also abuse drugs or alcohol or live with mental illness, you need a dual diagnosis rehab that offers an eating disorder treatment program.
The road to rehab is as rocky for eating disorders, as it is for addiction. Recovery is also similar, with eating disorders, addiction and mental illness requiring a variety of therapies. These health problems are relapsing and chronic diseases. This means you do not turn a switch in yourself for a lasting recovery. Instead, you must work to earn and maintain your sobriety, mental balance, and healthy eating behaviors.
The roots of eating disorders usually involve body image and self-esteem problems. These frequently exist with mental illnesses like depression, anxiety, trauma, PTSD and other conditions. People with these problems often start abusing drugs or alcohol in an effort to medicate their mental discomfort. But that approach never works, as the substances reel you in and take over your life.
Regardless of your eating disorder’s causes or other behavioral conditions you suffer, you need help. An eating disorder treatment program helps you regain healthy eating habits while also working to learn about yourself. You develop coping skills, life skills, and nutrition education. You undergo a mix of therapies in rehab, too.
What You Need From Dual Diagnosis Treatment Program
A dual diagnosis treatment program provides help for substance use disorder and eating disorders. You also gain support for mental illnesses experienced along with these conditions. So whether you suffer addiction with an eating disorder, an eating disorder alone or any of these with mental illness, you can find the help you need.
A dual diagnosis treatment program provides the education, support, therapies and coping skills you need for long-term wellness in all areas of your life. But no single program works for everyone. So you need a dual diagnosis program that provides individualized treatment planning. This tailors the program to your specific needs.
There is also not one level of care for all individuals entering rehab. The level of care you need depends on your substance use history, eating disorder history, co-occurring mental illnesses and health history, among other factors. Your treatment may also include medication, along with therapy and support groups.
Substance Abuse and Eating Disorder Treatment Program in Oregon
People from all over the Pacific Northwest receive eating disorder treatment and help for other co-occurring conditions at Crestview Recovery. Crestview Recovery provides the individualized treatment planning, therapies, and programs you need for strong, lasting recovery.
Programs of Crestview Recovery include:
- Inpatient, PHP, IOP and outpatient programs
- Aftercare and extended care program
- Mood disorder treatment program
- Individual counseling and group therapy activities
- Dual diagnosis treatment
- Eating disorder treatment program
- 12-step recovery with DBT, CBT, and mindfulness meditation
Crestview Recovery treats you as an individual, not one among many. You gain the diagnosis, therapies, support and eating disorder treatment you need at Crestview Recovery for a better future. So call Crestview Recovery now at 866-262-0531 to learn more about your treatment options.