When people think about deadly addictions, they typically think of heroin, meth, or other hard drugs. However, alcohol is one of the most addictive and deadliest drugs on the market. To make matters worse, people can buy this drug in nearly any store. Alcohol poisoning is one reason why it’s so dangerous.

What Is Alcohol Poisoning?

A man passed out on a bar possibly suffering from alcohol poisoningAlcohol or ethanol poisoning is a very serious and sometimes deadly outcome of drinking too much in a short period. It causes people’s bodies to go into shock, so heart rate and breathing increase. In some cases, it can lead to a coma or even death.

People can get ethanol poisoning from drinking anything that has alcohol in it. For instance, children and teens can get it from drinking household products that contain ethanol. Mouthwash and cough syrup are a few examples. Younger children usually drink these products accidentally, while teenagers may drink them intentionally to get drunk.

Symptoms of Ethanol Poisoning

People can look for many signs and symptoms to tell if a loved one has ethanol poisoning. Some of the most common include:

  • Seizures
  • Vomiting
  • Confusion
  • Sleeplessness
  • Slow breathing
  • Low body temperature
  • Unconsciousness

What to Do If Someone Has Ethanol Poisoning

It’s important that people know what to do if loved ones are suffering from alcohol poisoning. The first and most important step is to act quickly. The faster they react, the more likely their loved ones are to recover.

The first step is to call 911 right away and inform the dispatcher about the emergency. During this time, they shouldn’t let their loved ones fall asleep. Once that happens, they lose consciousness and may be impossible to wake.

It’s also natural for people to vomit when they have ethanol poisoning. If left alone, they could choke on their own vomit. They don’t have the power or strength to sit up on their own. While waiting for help, it’s important to stay with them to avoid these issues.

People must also keep their loved ones warm. Alcohol naturally lowers body temperature. If they don’t stay warm, they can suffer hypothermia.

What Not to Do If Someone Suffers From Ethanol Poisoning

Knowing what not to do is just as important as knowing what to do. Obviously, never give loved ones with alcohol poisoning more alcohol. More alcohol makes the situation worse and can even kill them.

Contrary to popular belief, people shouldn’t give them coffee to wake them up. Coffee can lead to dehydration, just like alcohol. This dehydration causes some symptoms of ethanol poisoning. Therefore, coffee only makes the problem worse.

People should also avoid feeding loved ones with ethanol poisoning. They think that a full stomach can soak up the alcohol. In reality, those with poisoning lose the ability to swallow effectively. Feeding them could cause choking.

Let Crestview Recovery Help You Overcome Alcohol Addiction

If you suffer from alcohol addiction, it could be just a matter of time before alcohol poisoning happens to you. Looking for alcohol treatment in Portland can help you avoid this situation altogether. Crestview Recovery offers programs that can help you overcome alcohol use, including:

We also offer aftercare programs. These services include continued treatment and support, helping you after rehab. They make it easier for you to return to your life at your own pace. Aftercare also helps you avoid relapse.

Don’t let alcohol poisoning land you in the emergency room. Get help for your alcohol addiction right away. Reach out to Crestview Recovery today at 866.262.0531 for more information about preventing this deadly condition.